Absinthe L'Estivale 2019 - Aymonier - Organic 65% - 50cl
Estivale means 'summer' or 'summery' in French, and this hints at what makes this absinthe special, to capture the spirit of the fresh plants during the summer season. The absinthe will be unique each year, changing the recipe each time.
The concept of Aymonier's Estivale absinthe is this:
1. In July each year, organic farmers and distillers Mayra and Francois Aymonier walk out into the field behind their house
2. They pick the herbs they want to use, and take them down into the cellar of the house, where they keep their stills
3. The plants are put directly into the still, with other herbs and spices, and organic spirit, and distilled
4. Shortly afterwards, the absinthe is bottled.
This year, the fresh herbs are: grand wormwood, lemon balm and hyssop.
This absinthe is very refreshing and has subtle notes of herbs. Sweet nuances of fennel can be found in the aroma. As with all the absinthe from this distillery, the wormwood note is strong.
- Product Type:WM: Absinthe
- Description:WM: Spirit
- Net Quantity:WM: 50cl
- Alcohol Content:WM: 65% vol
- Distillery or Brand : Aymonier
- Product Type: Absinthe
- Description: Spirit
- Country of Origin: France
- Responsible Food Company: Distillerie Aymonier, La Semilla, 80 Grande Rue, 25300 Les Fourgs, FR
- Net Quantity: 50cl
- Alcohol Content: 65% vol
- Usage Instructions: Mix with water before drinking.
Weight: 0.80 kg
Dimensional Weight: 1.20 kg
Compare with similar items
The Aymonier distillery is perched at an altitude of 1100 in the small village of Les Fourgs, 10 kilometers from Pontarlier, once the world's most important town for absinthe distilling. The surrounding area was full of small farms like this one, producing high quality wormwood and herbs destined for use in absinthe.
The couple Mayra and Francois Aymonier make their four different organic absinthes using a very small still. This is a true micro-distillery.
The Aymoniers use traditional recipes combined with local absinthe-making knowledge to make the highest possible quality absinthe. This is also thanks to the grand wormwood, hyssop, lemon balm and artemisia pontica that they grow themselves, all without the use of pesticides or chemical fertiliser. Only the anise is grown elsewhere. Quite simply, the climate is too harsh in the region for this plant. Wormwood, however, thrives.