AbsinthExplore - Gustave 72% - 50ml
Out of stock
Resurrected from a late 18th century recipe, from around the time that absinthe was first commercialised and transformed from folk remedy to a beverage consumed for pleasure.
The recipe comes from our private archive. Naturally, the precise herb bill rests a secret, however it's difficult to resist sharing a few details with you:
- The recipe includes a generous quantity of wormwood (Artemisia Absinthium), more than in the majority of modern absinthe.
- The other two essential absinthe ingredients are there too: fennel, and anise, contributing sweetness and roundness. The quality of these is essential for a successful absinthe.
- Many of the botanicals are somewhat unusual in modern absinthe: this includes calamus root, or sweet flag, which has been used throughout history in herbal medicine in cultures across the world. Calamus is even mentioned in the book of Exodus as an ingredient in holy anointing oil.
- Gustave is by no means a 'standard' modern absinthe. The sheer amount of botanicals used per litre of spirit make for an intense and concentrated flavour. Distinctive.
The result is herbal, earthy, and spicy; complex, yet smooth. Most importantly, Gustave pulls off this complexity without being overwhelming. It is an exceedingly enjoyable drink.
Natural colouring and ageing
The coloration is 100% natural, using four different herbs to give Gustave a green colour, from the chlorophyll found naturally in leaves. This bright green fades to what the French call a 'feuille morte' colour. That is, the colour of ‘dead leaves’, of toffee mixed with a vegetal green hue.
After colouring, we let Gustave rest for a minimum of three to six months before bottling. This is in line with what our absinthe-making forefathers were doing over a century ago, and is a step sadly missed by many modern absinthe makers. We believe in this case that the distillers of yore knew best: this prolonged aging period is indispensable, and lets the fresher, more harsh herbal notes from the colouring step mellow and merge with the other ingredients, giving a sublime smoothness to the final absinthe.
Gustave is bottled at 72% alcohol by volume, in line with the very finest vintage absinthe.
- Product Type:WM: Absinthe
- Description:WM: Spirit
- Net Quantity:WM: 50ml
- Alcohol Content:WM: 72% vol
- Distillery or Brand : Paul Devoille
- Product Type: Absinthe
- Description: Spirit
- Country of Origin: France
- Responsible Food Company: Paul Devoille, 9 Rue des Moines Haut, 70220 Fougerolles, FR
- Net Quantity: 50ml
- Alcohol Content: 72% vol
- Usage Instructions: Mix with water before drinking.
Weight: 0.14 kg
Dimensional Weight: 0.35 kg
Paul Devoille, France
1859: The distillery was founded by Xavier Devoille. His son, Paul Devoille, was very dedicated to developing the distillery, and worked hard on its growth. This is why up until this day, the distillery is named after him. Paul Devoille was a very important person in Fougerolles, he held the position of the major for many years.
1986: Due to the bad financial position the distillery was in, Jaques Veillet, the new owner of the distillery, decided to sell it to an experienced business man, who already invested into a couple of other distilleries inside and outside on France. René Miscault bought the distillery, and made some rapid administrational changes. He also expanded their product range, and opened the distillery for visitors to the public. These measures may seem drastic, however, they saved the distillery in the end. Today, Hugues Miscault, the son of René Miscault, runs the distillery.
Paul Devoille's Absinthe:
Their probably most popular absinthes, apart from the Libertines, and the Enigma Verte and Enigma Blanche. Absinthe Soixante-Cinq is a pretty interesting absinthe as well, with a quite spicy smell combined with a fruityness from the wine-alcohol base. Certainly, there are a lot of other spirits produced at Paul Devoille, such as eau-de-vies and liqueurs. From plum to strawberry, you can find nearly all of the common flavours.
Currently out of stock