Koval Distillery, Chicago

The KOVAL distillery is a young company founded in 2008 by Robert and Sonat Birnecker. The couple left their academic careers to start producing whisky, liqueurs and other spirits.

Their wish is to make organic spirits from scratch, without artificial colouring or additives. The Birneckers only use the heart cut of the distillate, creating a new style of spirit. All the Koval whiskeys age in 30 gallon single barrels, where they develop their unique and delicious flavour.

The Birneckers see great importance in controlling each step of the production process. First, they select the best ingredients from local organic Midwestern farms. They distil in their own facilities, with a traditional pot still made in Germany by Kothe company, using water from Lake Michigan. Finally, they bottle the spirits and label.

The KOVAL distillery is one of the first urban craft distilleries in the USA and a leader among independent spirit manufacturers. Since 2008, the company has achieved fame in the States and has now arrived in Europe. We are proud to be a part of making it more available to the rest of the world. We can deliver to most countries in the world, including the USA.

But what does KOVAL actually mean? In many Slavic languages, Koval means “blacksmith”, and in Yiddish “black sheep”. It was the nickname of Sonat's Austrian great-grandfather after he emigrated from Vienna to Chicago in the early 1900s.

A pure coincidence, Robert's grandfather's name was Schmid, which happens to be the German translation of “blacksmith”. Robert learnt everything about distillation at his grandfather side. In honour of both men, Robert and Sonat decided to name their whiskey enterprise Koval.

This American whisky of Austrian descent has already been awarded several Gold Medals, both in the USA and in Europe.
...Read moreRead less

8 items

A gift set consisting of 3 whiskeys from the Koval distillery in Chicago: Millet...

With this gift set you can get to know 3 high quality American whiskeys from the Koval distillery in Chicago. You'll get one 200 ml bottle of each of the following whiskeys, packaged in a beautiful and practical gift box: Koval Millet Whiskey, Koval Bourbon ...

$87
In stock

A dry, floral gin from the Koval distillery in Chicago.

Koval Dry Gin is produced by the distillery of the same name in the US, more precisely in Chicago. The KOVAL distillery was founded by Robert and Sonat Birnecker in 2008. Since then, the couple produces top quality spirits that are also certified kosher.

 $87/Liter  $43.50
In stock
New

A barrel-aged gin produced by the Koval distillery in Chicago.

Koval Barreled Gin is based on the same floral recipe as Koval Gin. This gin has rested for 6 months in a whiskey barrel that has previously been used to age Koval Whiskey. The barrel aging ...

 $104/Liter  $52
In stock

A unique and harmonious mix of maize and millet. Single barrel, unfiltered whisk...

Bourbon has a solid legal definition. It has to have a minimum 51% corn (maize). Some distillers could see that as a barrier to creativity. For KOVAL however, it has inspired them to try out new things. Whereas the vast majority of bourbons use rye or wheat for the other 49% ...

 $112/Liter  $56
In stock

The first whiskey to be made out of millet, a grain usually associated with Afri...

The Single Barrel Millet Whiskey by the KOVAL distillery ages in oak barrels from Minnesota. The millet that is used in this whiskey is a very ancient cereal, gluten-free and highly valued in Africa and Asia. It is also a popular base for spirits in Nepal ...

 $109/Liter  $54.50
In stock

A break from tradition: Oat, rye, wheat and malted barley. All grown by an organ...

The Single Barrel Four Grain Whiskey is distilled from a mash made with four different cereals, - oat, malted barley, rye and wheat - grown by an organic farming collective in the Midwest USA. Only the heart cut of the distillation is used, after which th ...

 $112/Liter  $56
In stock

Heart Cut. Unfiltered. 100% Rye.

Single Barrel Rye Whiskey by the KOVAL distillery, the city of Chicago's first craft distillery since the prohibition! Far from a typical rye whiskey: Although it is made from 100% rye, this whiskey is fresh and light, with a slight flavour of maple, and ...

 $109/Liter  $54.50
In stock

Peppery and floral, with a subtle scent of vanilla and cereal. Tradition never a...

Peppery and floral, with a subtle scent of vanilla and cereal. In the USA, this is known as “White Whiskey”. Sometimes compared to aquavit, rye spirit has a long history in the USA, an even older traditional spirit than bourbon. George Washington's distillery are know ...

 $84/Liter  $42
Out of stock
Show
per page